my top 7 favorite places to buy cool fabricApril 29, 2011
1. ufab – If you live in Richmond or Charlottesville you are seriously lucky because you get to shop at this awesome fabric store. I am extra lucky because I can walk to the Richmond location from my house! This is my go-to spot for upholstery weight fabric. Their fabric is seriously discounted – I often pay $10 or $12 a yard, although I occasionally fall in love with a $20 a yard piece. But still – what great prices and they have really cool stuff, and lots of it!
2. Quilting Adventures – This is my go-to spot for lightweight fabric. They carry a lot of my favorite fabric designers (that’s a future blog post!) and they have tons of fat quarters which are perfect for small projects. The staff is super helpful (they have even offered to hold my baby!) and they have a wide variety of sewing classes.
3. Etsy – There is so much fabric on Etsy you could spend years looking at it all! When you search, make sure you click “supplies” instead of “handmade” and you will have better luck. Try searching by colors, styles, fabric weight or fabric designer. A couple of my favorite sellers are imagine fabrics, cherry lane textiles and the fabric store.
4. spoonflower – Design and print your own fabrics! That’s all I need to say, right? The possibilities are endless. They also offer tons of already designed, super cute, supper unique fabrics.
5. umbrella prints – Umbrella prints also has an Etsy shop but they deserve their own spot on my list because their hand screen printed fabrics are amazing. I used their elephant fabric on this kids table and chairs and I am still in love with it!
6. purlsoho – This website is a great resource for all things crafty, including fabric. They carry tons of super cool fabric designers.
7. thrift stores – Don’t forget thrift stores and yard sales, especially if you are looking for vintage. Not only can you find fabric yardage but think outside the box – I once used a skirt to re-cover a chair cushion!
Do you have your own favorite fabric stores? Tell me about them in the comments section and I will update this post with a readers favorites section!